I occasionally find time in my schedule to offer video Skype songwriting sessions to interested songwriters. If you’ve been working on songs that need some help getting to the finished stage, I’d like to help.
- My current schedule can accommodate taking on 5 songwriters in private Skype lessons. For each student, I’ll offer 3 once-per-week sessions. These sessions will allow me to address 2-to-3 of your songs, and help you solve whatever problems you might be encountering. This is “first-come, first-served”.
- If you find the sessions to be helpful and you want to continue beyond the three scheduled sessions, I’m willing to consider that.
- At this point, I do not have time to schedule single sessions, so only sign up if a 3-session package is possible for you. Having said that, if after the first session you feel that it’s not helping you, we can cancel the remaining two sessions. I really want to help you improve, and so it’s important to me that you find the sessions to be doing just that.
- The best days for me to offer the sessions right now are Thursday mornings and/or Friday mornings, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm, Atlantic Daylight Saving Time (ADT), which is UTC-3.
What To Expect From a Skype Songwriting Session With Me
You’ll need to have 2 or 3 songs in some recorded state. Don’t worry if those recordings are very rough. I’ll start before our first session by listening several times to your songs in whatever state they’re in. Then:
- Before our first session, I’ll make notes about my initial impressions. I’ll consider chords, melody, lyrics, formal design, and other aspects of musical composition.
- At our first session, I’ll describe what I’ve heard in your songs, the good and the bad. I’ll describe ways in which I think what you’ve done is effective, and also ways in which you might improve what you’ve done.
- I’ll choose one song that we should focus on for that session, and together we’ll dig into the nuts & bolts, working to getting it sounding the way you want.
- I’ll finish each session by giving you ideas (activities, exercises, etc.) that you will do to try during the week. These ideas will pertain directly to the song we’re working on, and we’ll look briefly at the song we’ll focus on for the next session.
- Within 24 hours of each session I’ll send you an email with summaries of ideas we talked about so that you can study them as you work on your song during the week.
- I’ll spend the week between sessions devising alternate ideas for you to consider as you work to get your song sounding right.
- After the 3 sessions are complete, I will offer a one-time email follow-up, if you’d like to touch base once more with any extra help you need.
You should note that you are welcome to use any ideas I suggest, and you are of course welcome to reject those ideas. They are your songs, not mine. If you accept any ideas, I will not want to share songwriting credit with you. That’s not my intention. I simply want you to be satisfied that you’ve got your song sounding just the way you want.
- I am a composer of music, and my desire is to help with issues relating to the writing of music. I am not a producer, and so production-related issues (beats, loops, recording techniques, mixing, etc.) is not something I will be offering in these sessions. The sessions are meant to get the compositional aspect of your music working.
- As you hopefully know from my blog, I treat everyone with respect. I don’t trash anyone’s music, and can promise that I’ll treat you and your songs with dignity. I think I can promise that you’ll finish each of the 3 Skype sessions feeling good about what you do.
- If you’d like to see an example of how I look at music, and the kind of observations I’m likely to make when I listen to your songs, check out my YouTube channel. It contains videos I’ve made that target some essential principles of songwriting.
The 3-lesson package is $195 USD ($65 per hour)
Once you’ve signed up for your 3 sessions, I guarantee that you’ll get three hours of Skype songwriting sessions with me, the times you’ve signed up for, and that the 3 sessions will contain ideas for you to try.
I CANNOT guarantee that you’ll like my suggestions, or that they will necessarily lead to finishing or fixing the specific songs we’re working on together. I will be your teacher, and that’s the nature of teaching. I can guarantee that you’ll be given ideas that you can try, ideas that will help you not just with these songs, but any other song you’re working on.
You can cancel your sessions at any time you change your mind. I will offer full refund for any canceled sessions assuming I am given 24 hours notice. If you cancel before the first session, I’ll refund your full payment minus $20 USD. So please be sure you’ve checked your schedule carefully. If you need to change the time or day of a session, I can usually be flexible, and I’ll do whatever I can to create a new time for you if that’s necessary.
How to Sign Up
If you’d like to sign up for the three Skype sessions, and you have a Skype account, and if you are prepared to work hard on your songs for the three weeks, please do the following:
- Write me at email@example.com, and send me links where I can hear 2 to 3 songs that you’re currently working on, or need help with. Do not email MP3s – links only. It would be helpful for you to email lyrics if applicable.
- In a return email, I’ll propose dates and times for 3 Skype sessions. Those days will likely be Thursdays or Fridays, so it would be helpful if you could make a suggestion regarding scheduling. Reply to that email to confirm that the dates and times will work for you.
- Once we have agreed to a schedule for the 3 sessions, I’ll send you the url of the payment web page. NOTE: The sessions are not considered scheduled until payment is made.
I look forward to the possibility of working with you, and if you sign up, I’ll work hard to make sure that my sessions with you are productive and worthwhile.
-Gary Ewer, B. Mus